Saturday 22 June 2013

Blog Marathon Post 9. Space - where is it?

Yesterday I saw this story about a minimalist house called "Diogene", designed by an ace Italian architect. It is vey small, but packs a punch.




Gizmag says this about this house:

"Italian architect Renzo Piano has gone from building Europe’s tallest building (the Shard in London) to one of its smallest. Finally completing his career-long dream of building a micro house that only measures 7.5 sq m (81 sq ft), Piano’s single-occupancy unit has been added to the gardens of the Vitra Campus in Weil am Rhein, Germany. Dubbed “Diogene,” the small structure is named in honor of the Greek philosopher Diogenes of Sinope, who was said to have abandoned all worldly luxuries and conventions for the simplicity of living in a large ceramic jar. 

While it’s hard to imagine how a unit that measures 3 by 2.5 meters (9.8 by 8.2 ft) can be big enough to be called a home, the Diogene model provides the simplest of comforts for one person without leaving anything out. The micro home features a living area which comes equipped with a foldaway desk and chair, sofa bed and recessed storage boxes. A separated utilities space features a composting toilet, shower plate and a small kitchen unit with built-in sink and refrigerator."

See more pictures here and know more here

This got me thinking, if I stay in this house, how will I feel, will I move around and feel as is I have hardly any space and slowly a consciousness of having less space will start settling in me...or not?

I love the concept, and would really like to have a cabin like this, but out in the open. I cannot stay in this in a city. But then, that is how it has been designed for "off-the-grid tiny living". I would love to go there to write, and minimise distractions and feel secure and go in. Then I would love to step out in the open, and feel as if the world is in me and I am in it. 

I feel as the excesses are increasing, so is the need among people to go towards less. So that when there is less clutter outside, there is less clutter inside as well, and thus the 'space' that we all need, gets created in the inside. 

This is specially significant with the world population growing exponentially. But I have full trust in our adoptive nature. We are not perfect, but we are creative. There need not be any race against others to survive in the long run, because we do not need to compete. 

There is space enough for everyone. Inside we carry so much of it. So why hanker for it outside. 

As within, so without. 

No comments: