Friday 28 June 2013

Blog Marathon Post 15. My favorite poems

I love poetry. I am not saying I understand all intricate types of poetry, but I do love the fact that in 2 sentences a poet can convey more than 2 pages of prose. Poetry is direct, indirect, confusing, rewarding, frustrating, and mesmerising all at the same time. 

My favorite poets are Robert Frost and Gulzar. I am not particularly very well read in poetry in and language - English, Hindi or Urdu - but I believe, as and when I have needed them, these gems have floated into my life from somewhere or the other. 


Today I wish to talk about poems or lines that have touched me in some way or the other, and have managed to lingered in my rather fragile memory because of their essence.


As of now, I am in the process of discovering and understanding (if I can), Pablo Neruda. I came across one of his anthologies long ago, but have re-visited him only recently. The moment I red him, this poem became my favorite instantly:

“I do not love you as if you were salt-rose, or topaz, 
or the arrow of carnations the fire shoots off.
I love you as certain dark things are to be loved,
in secret, between the shadow and the soul.
I love you as the plant that never blooms
but carries in itself the light of hidden flowers;
thanks to your love a certain solid fragrance,
risen from the earth, lives darkly in my body.
I love you without knowing how, or when, or from where.
I love you straightforwardly, without complexities or pride;
so I love you because I know no other way than this:
where I does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as I fall asleep. ”
___________________
Pablo Neruda 
This poem is from his anthology "Cien Sonetos de Amor". I have this pinned to my desktop, so I can move through is whenever I feel like it.

My other favorite is a haiku by Empress Komyo of Japan. This too is pinned to my desktop:
"Should I pluck it,
My handsWould defile the flower;
I offer it, as it stands,
To the Buddhas of the Three Worlds."
___________________
Empress Komyo

Of course, there many other popular haikus, but I love this one the best. I feel there is a flowing, lilting quality to this haiku, even though it doesn't rhyme. It rhymes somewhere else it seems.

Now there is not much that I need to say about Gulzar sa'ab. I love all his stories, poems, songs and movies. Most of my favorites are already quite popular, so I just wish to put here my latest favorite:

From here
"मुझे तुमने ज़मीन दी थी
तुम्हारे रहने के काबिल यहाँ इक घर बना दूं मैं
कभी फुर्सत मिले जबी बाक़ी कामों से तो आ जाना
किसी 'weekend' पे आ जाओ!"

"Mujhe tumne zameen di thi
tumhare rehne ke kaabil yahan ik ghar bana doon main
Kabhi fursat miley jab baaki kaamo'n se to aa jaana
kisi 'weekend' pe aa jao!"
___________________
Gulzar [Neglected Poems]
There are so many more, but today these stand as favorites. 

No comments: